Saturday 27 August 2022

Compass fun

 

This idea worked out well and fun .. using the hula hoop circle to get across 360 degrees of a circle and Compass directions. We took it in turns to give one another direction commands .. Leen was impressive when we looked at a Europe Map unfolded with all roads and rivers and border lines. She worked out by running her finger East from Oostende on the map to find where her Auntie Asma lived in Germany.. Seeing her town north of Berlin.. Quick to grasp new study ..but we do it in fun. 

If you have read on my Cup of tea share care blog I had been preparing to introduce compass directions to Leen. 

"🏡 interesting coffee morning finding out where I am hhhh reviewing compass navigation. Why? you wonder! preparing something fun for my two Princesses... 

Remembering this with my granddaughters too ... We would have fun with me standing with my arms out to the side .. my head North, my Feet South, then which arm is West and which is East we noticed that the direction of west and the direction of east..spells WE .. to remember which way..

.there are fun mnemonics (crazy spelling mnemonics silent m 🤔) to remember the directions starting North then going clockwise round  

"Naughty Elephant Squirts Water" 🐘 This one I like lol

  ..... N ........

 . W . . E ....

 .....  S

Leen and Celine loved the Naughty Elephant 🐘