Thursday 3 November 2016

International Learning

My family Link up project demands of me to be internationally aware of all the political situations.  This was one of the reasons why Dante approached me as from his research of me he could see that I was an activist on many domestic and international affairs, someone he could trust with his family.  Westminster is a familiar patch from my work as a midwife at St Thomas's Hospital across the river.   I have in all my training as a nurse and midwife been taught to be politically aware.  So my project gives me an impetus to understand as much as I can.  But always always no matter where I have lived and travelled from India to Morocco to Dubai to Germany to Turkey to Greece to Romania I have always sat and listened to locals... my work in London has brought the world to my doorstep in patients and mothers from around the world....I have always been interested to understand cultures and share in those cultures...... 

So this week has been interesting as I spotted in the Parliamentary calendar a Select Committee meeting on the UK relations with Turkey.  Given that my last visit to Turkey on the first night in the hotel I was seeing the attempted coup unfold and needed to help in the hotel with the anxious guests ... this meeting was of great interest to me.  I have a great respect for Turkey and have always felt comfortable welcomed and part of the community.  My first ever trip to Turkey in my life was to join a friend who was working in Ankara in the cusp of 1990/1991 and then I would be getting up to adventures while she was at work- like tea with the chief of police as he wanted to practice his English....but probably really now speaks broad Yorkshire... :-) to meeting with a woman's international group and then going alone out to Ephesus and Selcuk... on my return to Istanbul for my return flight on that trip was even given a bed in the home of a Turkish family and was being tucked up on the sofa by a kindly Turkish mother....I love being with the locals with the families...My trips to Antalya now with the Family Link up project - a selected safe place to meet up in the protective bubble of a package holiday - again never ever do I feel the tourist but part of the community. Dante has been accepted by the community as he is like me we are caring people we love learning about cultures, try to pick up on the language and show great interest in all around...... so we have respect for others and they have respect for us and all that they see I am doing. 

The meeting was enriching in Parliament on Turkey and their are some interesting publications from the panel, for me to research now to build further on my understanding..... 

You can listen to the committee meeting on this link  http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/a7f38fbd-a7ae-4b7a-8bb8-792bdac3f312
This is me in Antalya Dante and I were taking time with local traders listening understanding their crafts and their trade... hearing and seeing that trade has not got the desired turn over at the moment.  Traders need to feed their families too.... how wonderful to be able to help them in this link up project too... 
This trader and his wares was so frustrating for me - as look a shop full of amazingly comfortable shoes and sandals... made with lamb leather.... and the insoles with a special padding... you really do have a spring in your step with these.  I managed to get Dante a pair of sandals that day as he needed footwear... lol he was bouncing along on the path after hhhh with mega comfort for his feet..... BUT BUT can you imagine if I had had the funds... Gee I could have bought in bulk for the refugees back in the camps and in Dantes community.....  They needed the footwear... this trader has the footwear and needs the trade..... both sorted... IF I had the funds..... 
I just need someone to see the potential I am seeing to really turn this situation round for the benefit of all...... message me if you wish to discuss this more.....

This was one of the babies in the hotel at the time of the attempted Turkish coup ... her mother was in a panic so I had been helping her and the others to remain calm..... we all actually felt close in that unsure time ... hotel staff and residents all coming together.  All we need is to be a Global Family listening and understanding one another with the biggest communication and key to all Love, care and compassion for one another... not ego clashing and sabre rattling and war mongering... ..... but just coming together and link up for the benefit of all....