Monday 3 October 2016

Love Babies

Delivered must be a thousand babies over my time as a midwife.  I have always worked in teaching hospitals with around 5000 to 6000 births per year. Always liked to be on delivery suite in the action of it all. Seen babies safely in the world. Miss my practice so was in my element with the new babies in the camp.  Shame I did not get a delivery.  I am looking forward to pictures of Mona's new baby as she will have surely delivered this weekend.  We have mothers in the camp that have had unproblematic deliveries but we have also high risk mothers that have had C-section deliveries.  One mother on her fourth pregnancy with a history of C-section for the other three.  Needed to tell her this has to be bas! enough! as it becomes more dangerous.  lol this gave her husband the chance to say he would need to find another wife for more children.  I did ask what vitamins he was on and he was laughing.  But it is the norm for more than one wife....I remember this in Leeds with an Iraqi couple that I was visiting on post natal check ups.  The husband was concerned for the safety of his wife having had a C-section and openly talked about another wife in front of her.  I asked what she thought of this and she said no problem she would be a sister wife.  It is not an Islamic thing but a cultural custom.  
Adults should love and protect children they are our future. So I become a lioness when I see the horrors of today's supposed intelligent homo sapiens inflicting war crimes on kids. Adults should be adult enough to come round peace tables.  But love will win it is a universal law. Life is precious. So many little hands I have held in my time on this Earth as a nurse and as a midwife, a mother and a grandmother.  Respect life!