Thursday 15 September 2016

Language of Love

This project is helping me build on my languages....so stimulating and challenging. It is a perfect time for the children in the camp to absorb languages without all the bogging down of grammar... it is the sponge effect of being babes and repeating sounds which carry meaning in context.  

I am enjoying sorting out my meems and jeems of Arabic and my pi and sigmas of Greek.  When in Turkey I pick up on the Turkish as I go about my day there and from some that Dante my refugee has learnt by exposure to the sounds.  I was working on a powerpoint presentation when I was recently in Turkey in a Turkish package and that was fun learning 
Yeni =new.... 
Slayt= Slide.... 
Kaydet= Save... lool that is being familiar with powerpoint package and by process of elimination you fathom out the commands meaning.      Of course I have to brush up on my German too when I skype and chat with the brother in Germany as he is fluent now.  

But the main language is the language of love that heart to heart link up is key to all.  


Image from http://www.annalindhfoundation.org/translation-mapping

Getting more and more familiar with Athens as I workout the places we need to go to on this next trip... and Great to get an email from the Doctors of the World eager to see me again.  Sadly today I have been talking with Birte from the UNHCR and while there is much admiration for this project we cannot seem to get our hands on some funding for me as an independent carer.   From my research reading there has been a free up of 83 million Euros from the EU that has been distributed to 8 organisations.  But the problem is getting some just a few thousand for this project would be wonderful.  So I am reliant on the donations and if anyone has any interest in sponsoring me or can lead me to grants that I could apply for please let me know. My email marjoriesyardATgmail.com   I am awaiting the Arts Council Grant that I have applied for.   I have written to the EU for guidance too.   I hope the value of this project is soon seen and there is help to build up funds for spin off projects such as student work experience secondments.