Wednesday 21 September 2016

Ornis Bird learning

photo from http://filnorewoods.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/blue-tit.html
Marjorie you are asking why a photo of a blue tit this morning on the posting. Read on you will see how my mind works....
It is at times like this that you admire ornithologist that not only study birds but capture them with photos..... just had two beautiful Blue Tits and a chaffinch on my Buddlea Shrub loool outside my kitchen window.... but they were all too twitchy quick, zip zapping from branch to branch .... so no chance to zoom and capture..... then they were all risking it with two cats in this household.......!! :-( they had to be quick to get the bugs and off...given the council has been hacking down some of the trees and shrubs near by they have to chance new places to feed now... ohhhh if only councils were eco-friendly and biologists........The birds were so so beautiful but also now feeling we are moving to winter months.... 
You see I am a biologist first and foremost and a keen gardener so all the time I am watching the seasons and this is what makes me think of preparing the refugees for the winter months ahead..... I need to be sure they have warm clothing and good food for the challenging weather ahead.... and medications to relieve symptoms of colds and flu..... Already out in Turkey Dante and his community are feeling colds coming on as the weather is changing from warm summer to the cooler autumn days.   In our daily life there is the wider rhythm of the yearly cycle of seasons and each bring its need to keep well...all require some form of shelter and the appropriate clothing.... of course food and fluids.....so we really need to look after our families that are displaced through this horrendous war.
Oh some Greek learning for next week ornithology is a branch of zoology that concerns the study of birds. The word "ornithology" derives from the ancient Greek ὄρνις ornis ("bird") and λόγος logos ("rationale" or "explanation"). "ς" so now we can determine that is a "s" sound ohhh and look the lambda λ for the "l" in Logos..... I am deciphering this scientific formula language hhhhhh I am the same with the Arabic I can sit and work it out but not speak the darn thing.....I have to get my ears attuned to the sounds and the word recognition..then speak it - but it is a case of needing to be immersed in the language to do this.

Whilst love is the communicator to connect us all no matter the language spoken.....all the time I am trying to be language conscious to pick up words to help seal rapports with locals. This is me no matter where I travel I like to show respect and try to learn....and besides it is fun to learn new languages........ The children in the camps are the perfect age to pick up on the sounds of the different languages without the logos need to explain and bog down with grammar. Our early learning is sounds and context driven and quite amazing how we learn meaning and then use in our expression of needs.  The language centre of our brain quite fascinating.